TOPIC: Summer series 1 results

Summer series 1 results 10 years 7 months ago #133

• Silverback
B) Musings on Many Mainsheets!

Semi-Serious Muse:

In the history of Begafigo F.D.S.C. Saturday 27 July will mark as a first in many ways; it was the first time that 4 Hobie 18’s raced in the fleet! It was the first time that Mr Squires (aka Mr Sheen) raced his Laser 2000. A general recall (I always wanted to do that!) The first time the race sheet has been filled. The most important first however, was the arrival of the optimist fleet along the start line competing for their start with everybody else.

This is an important point in the club history, and the best indicator that the Coaching/Sailing team & Parents are securing the future of Begafigo as a major sailing centre in Cyprus.

Normal Muse:

Now what a prospect , 4 18’s, a Laser 2000, many variations of laser 1’s and the oppie’s. A good job that Vassilis (still injured) was OOD. He had a full sheet of eager competitors….There was the easy confidence in the laser camp, rising skill levels, handicap advantage and the wind seemed steady. Now the heavyweights of “Ora Kali” were seriously considering withdrawing to the bar. A little too much brave talk during the week was dependent on the Goddess being in a good frame of mind and it was not looking good! The Formula 18’s with their big sails and easy confidence were looking the hot favourites… and then there was Brian! In undisguised glee he was rigging “Siga Siga” having secured the boat in a “Hush Hush” deal. In addition he had imported expert crew from the UK. Serious stuff dear reader. Looking at all this activity “a Guinness would be good now”, I said to Black John.

What followed will be the stuff of legend. In years to come there will be old men – getting in the way, complaining of their ailments and driving everyone crazy with….”Do you remember that day…” (I practise with the “Irish one” most days). Anyway it was a day when I got to call “starboard” – loudly….and wave goodbye to somebody whilst on the wire…

The facts are (before the passing of time changes a few of the details) -the Lasers did indeed prevail after the handicap, Andreas and Eric forcing their way to the front. The F18’s are very fast and getting faster….The Irish person is going to be a problem – but not on this day…as the Goddess smiled on her favoured sons…..The real problem is going to be all these optimist, radial and 4.7 sailors, they are fast now they can only get faster. The chair in the shade beckons….
Fatboy.
B)
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.700 seconds
© 2021 Famagusta District Sailing Club Begafigo. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced, stored in retrieval system or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanicals, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of Begafigo sailing club.